By Peter Messent,Louis J. Budd
This broad-ranging better half brings jointly revered American and eu critics and a few up-and-coming students to supply an outline of Twain, his heritage, his writings, and his position in American literary history.
- One of the main broad-ranging volumes to seem on Mark Twain in contemporary years
- Brings jointly revered Twain critics and a few more youthful students within the box to supply an outline of this relevant determine in American literature
- Places particular emphasis at the ways that Twain's works stay either appropriate and demanding for a twenty-first century audience
- A concluding essay evaluates the altering panorama of Twain criticism
Read Online or Download A Companion to Mark Twain (Blackwell Companions to Literature and Culture) PDF
Best literary criticism & theory books
"Falling into Grace is a learn of Andrew Greeley's fiction and the message in the back of his phrases, revealing many undying political and theological rules. Professor R. W. Carstens stocks the findings of his deep exploration into Greeley's novels as facts of a suite of old values and key political rules which are wanted this present day greater than ever.
Bachelor Thesis from the 12 months 2010 within the topic English Language and Literature experiences - Literature, grade: 1,0, college of Leipzig (Institut für Anglistik), language: English, summary: Charlotte Brontë's novel Jane Eyre used to be first released in 1847 in London, at a time whilst British Colonialism was once turning out to be more and more very important for either the availability of inexpensive labour and new markets in another country.
Resistance is a key thought for realizing the 20 th and early twenty-first centuries, and for impending the poetry of the interval. This number of 15 serious essays explores how poetry and resistance have interaction, set opposed to a philosophical, ancient and cultural historical past. within the gentle of the upheavals of the age, and the altering notion of the character of language, resistance is visible to lie on the center of poetic preoccupations, relocating poetic language ahead.
For the second one 1/2 his lengthy lifestyles, Christopher Logue (1926-2011) - political insurgent, inventor of the poster poem, pioneer of poetry and jazz - used to be at paintings on a truly assorted venture: a rewriting of Homer's Iliad. The volumes that seemed from struggle track (1981) onwards have been targeted from translations, in that they got down to be an intensive reimagining and reconfiguration of Homer's story of struggle, human folly and the facility of the gods, in a language and elegance of verse that have been emphatically smooth.
- Design and Truth in Autobiography: Volume 7 (Routledge Library Editions: Autobiography)
- 'Beasts Without' - Representations of the Werewolf in Selected Short Narratives of the 19th Century
- The Life-work of the Author of Uncle Tom's Cabin
- The Demographic Imagination and the Nineteenth-Century City: Paris, London, New York (Cambridge Studies in Nineteenth-Century Literature and Culture)
- The Persistence of Beauty: Victorians to Moderns
- Finnegans Wake: Fifty Years.(European Joyce Studies 2)
Extra resources for A Companion to Mark Twain (Blackwell Companions to Literature and Culture)